Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Avoiding Temptation 7/15/12

Me & Chris
Chris and I went to Chili's the other day. The hostess wanted to seat us at the bar. I asked her to seat us somewhere else. I didn't think it was that big of deal. I haven't any cravings for so long, but I don't want to put myself in a position to be triggered and next thing I know, I'm remember the fun times of drinking, (there really weren't that many), and suddenly start craving it. You never know when it will hit you so you can never be too careful.

Anyway, I didn't think it was that big of a step in my recovery; I've been sober almost a year and a half. But my husband was proud of me. He said he didn't want to say anything when she headed that way and didn't know what I would do, so he was proud when I took control. It's those small steps that make a big difference.

Chris doesn't drink. Maybe before we got together a little over 2 years ago he may have every now and then, but out of love and respect for my recovery, he doesn't drink at all. I am incredibly lucky. Where has this man been all my life?!

So while I didn't think of it as a big deal, I guess it was a big deal for our relationship. He went through 2 months of hell during my last relapse and being able to make him proud and show that my sobriety is a priority for me is a big thing for him.

Chili's $25 Gift Card - Food Gift Cards

Please feel welcome to leave comments!
Join my new Alcoholics In Recovery Facebook Page!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! This December will be four years for me. I was also lucky, as my husband of almost 22 years (we were only 18 when we married), doesn't drink either. I know the temptation might always be there to drink, but the last couple of years even with family, or friends, if they are drinking all day and night, I have zero want. I doubt I could go to a karaoke bar, but I won't put myself in that situation. Good luck! Namaste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and congrats on 4 years! And 22 years of marriage! That is wonderful. I know that even though I have no desire to drink now, you just never know when it could unexpectedly hit. So I won't do anything that I know could make me start thinking about it again. Thank you so much for your comment! And good luck to you as well.

      Delete