Pages

Friday, July 6, 2012

Finding Balance

     So today I begin, yet another "diet." I'm pretty sure I have traded one addiction for another and now it is food. I eat when I'm bored, when I'm stressed, when I'm happy, just whenever; and my body is suffering because of it. I've put on A LOT of weight. It is really difficult for me because I was always pretty thin. Within a year after having my second child I was back at my high school weight of 120lbs. While I've always had issues with food, it was never this bad. It is normal I think, when you get sober to become addicted to something else. Cross-addiction. That is why I stay away from anything that is known to become habit forming. I don't even use nyquil anymore because that 10% of alcohol can be just enough to trigger me. When I got a tooth pulled, I refused a prescription for pain medication, opting for advil, and believe me, that wasn't easy.
    I've been reading a lot about this ancient "medical practice" called Ayurveda. It is tradition medicine of India. I'm no expert on the subject yet; I'm still learning.  http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/2/a/AyurvedaDef.htm  It's about getting your life back in balance, and one of the ways of doing that is choosing the right foods for your body type, or dosha as referred to in Ayurveda. Everyone has 3 doshas when they get out of balance, you start having health problems. Yoga is a big part of it.
     I just want to feel good about my body again. I want it to reflect how good I feel spiritually and mentally. I have focused more on the mental changes I have needed to make and let the physical part take the backseat. I want complete balance in my life. I'm not going to call it a diet anymore because diets are temporary. It's a lifestyle change. I just turned 31 a few days ago; I'm celebrating 17 months sober today and I don't want another year to fly by and remain at the weight I am.
     My husbands new mantra for me is "just take control." My mantra for myself the past year and a half has been "let go and let God." I think clinging to control is what gets people in trouble. At the same time, I know that God wants me to take action, not just sit around and wait on him to fix me. He has given me the tools I need to make positive changes and He will continue to do as long as I trust in Him.
    So, today is a brighter day and I have hope for the future and getting my life back in balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment