Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Drunk Dialing (What was I Thinking & How Do I Prevent it?)

I don't know about you,  but I did my fair share of drunk dialing/texting  in my drinking days. I wrote about some of my embarrassing experiences in my post "Go Ahead, Laugh."  I think most people at one time or another, alcoholic or not, are guilty of it. You go out , have a few too many drinks and you suddenly have the courage to call that ex of yours and tell him exactly what you think of him /her and their new girl/boy-friend. Guilty! Been there done that! Only I did more of a black out drunk dial most of the time. (And I was usually home alone.) I'd wake up with the feeling that I called somebody, but couldn't remember who exactly it was, or the conversation. Pink's song "Sober" comes to mind. People would want to "remind" me of the call and conversation and I'm like "I don't remember, why do you wanna keep talking about it?" It's embarrassing as hell.

So why do we do it? Obviously, alcohol gives us the courage to do stuff we'd never do sober. I would never do or say almost 100% of the shit I did drunk. I'm sure a lot of it was loneliness and boredom. I ended up having drunken booty calls on more than one occasion. It's too easy to get a man in bed. But would I have wanted them if I was sober? Probably not.
                                                   
                                     
                                                   Drunk Dialing Video on YouTube 

So, is there any way to avoid the dreaded drunk dial? Well, here are a few tips:

1. Either don't drink as much, or if this happens a lot, maybe stop drinking altogether.

2. There are actually apps for your phone to help prevent drunk dialing.

3. If you are going out with friends clubbing or what-have-you, give your phone to your designated driver, or
    leave your phone at home.

4. If you're like I was and drink at home alone, and make calls out of boredom or loneliness, the only
    solution I can think of is back at #1, stop drinking. Drinking alone is a sign of a bigger problem. That is the
    option I have gone with and it is working out great!

Our society makes a fortune on peoples stupid drunken antics, and a lot of people are happy to have a video
of themselves on YouTube. But the reality is, it's not always funny and can cause you a lot of embarrassment way into the future. Employers actually look up prospective employees on google before hiring them. Do yourself a favor and try to prevent making a fool out of yourself any way you can. What seems funny now can come back and bite you in the ass. It's okay to laugh at yourself, but why have everyone else laughing at you if you can prevent it?                      


                                            How to Recover From a Drunk Dial on You Tube



Please feel welcome to leave comments!!
Visit my new Alcoholics In Recovery Facebook Page!!

2 comments:

  1. You have made some great points in this post, not just one & only 1 way to handle drinking. What a vital voice you can have with your blogging & the FB page. Congrats on 1 1/2 yrs of sobriety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate your comment.

      Delete